Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Exodus: Gods and Kings

SF: I’m a fan of these type of epic movies, I watched 10 Commandments, Ben Hur and The Message with my Dad many times. So I was looking forward to seeing this. While Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton try very hard to make this remotely appealing and interesting I have to say it’s a fail. I even thought the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven was good but this left me bored. The action is dull, the story well known but not particularly developed and the characterisation shallow. The only interesting take was having God appear like an petulant child rather than a burning bush, you are also left questioning if Moses is mad or if it’s all real. On the whole though one interesting point isn't enough to save a very long film. 4/10

50Eggs: Before watching this I checked Rotten Tomatoes and saw it had 23% positive reviews. At £10 a pop I came very close to not bothering with Exodus, but I'd been looking forward to it for long enough that I decided to make my own mind up. Glad I did, this is the best telling of the Moses story I've ever seen. Most of the criticism seems to be based on Joel Ederingtons performance as the Pharaoh (I thought he was excellent) and for upsetting various sections of society (so what!). Great spectacle and strong story telling, I heartily recommend seeing this. 8.5/10

DonkeyB: n/a

Overall: 6.25/10

No comments: