Thursday, November 15, 2012

Rust and Bone

SF: It has been two days and I still do not know what to make of this film. The acting can not be faulted in any way. However this wasn't enjoyable to watch and there was only one scene I liked (Top row, second box from the left). I believe the film makers were going for a raw and gritty feel, with an unstated approach to direction. This can work really well (watch Let the Right One In for the perfect example) but in this case they film was missing the emotions. Personally I didn't find this evoked anything from me and for a character based film it is a major flaw. The deus ex machina ending also ruined everything I think the film was setting out to achieve. 6/10

50 Eggs: n/a

DonkeyB: It's an acting film; there are problems with the plotting I think but the central performances are powerful. Cotillard is brilliant: her character is at once vulnerable, powerful, sexy and utterly believable as a disabled woman. The downsides are the ending and the amount of acting with the back of the head- one assumes this is due to the difficulty of making a film about a woman without the lower part of her legs with an actor who has all of her legs. 7/10

Overall: 6.5/10

1 comment:

50 Eggs said...

This sounds like an odd film. But I'm glad I now know what 'Deus Ex Machina' means!