Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cloud Atlas


SF: I never got around to reading Cloud Atlas, so I had nothing to compare this to. The idea of such a long film was a bit daunting. Following the future and past lives of serveral different people isn't a new idea but this execution was, I'm pleased to say, very engaging. With so many threads it is an incredibly hard film to describe but while you are watching everything falls seamlessly together. Every story draws you in and the pace of film ensures that audience is never given the time to notice the length. Also the production value is amazing, the effects, costumes, music and set are all stunning, in particular New Seoul. Well worth a cinema trip. 8/10

50 Eggs: I read the book of this several years ago and didn't think much of it, so it's perplexing that I like the movie as much as I do. With 6 different and complex stories being told over 3 hours, this had no right to work as a film, and lots of critics don't think it does. But I do, wholeheartedly. That's down to the editing which is just fantastic, seamlessly chopping between characters, decades and genres to create an experience much greater than the sum of its parts. It's not for everyone, but it is for me. 9/10

DonkeyB: n/a

Overall: 8.5/10

1 comment:

50 Eggs said...

Having watched this again on DVD, I'm inclined to think I may have underrated it. It should have been 10/10, not 9/10. Perhaps I let the negative critical reception sow seeds of doubt in my mind before I saw it, I don't know. In any case, for me this is a masterpiece.