Thursday, August 15, 2013

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

SF: I've only ever seen clips of Alan Partridge so didn't have major expectations. The last Steve Coogan film I watched was Around the world in 80 days, a painful horror of a film. Fortunes smiled on this one, thoroughly funny from start to finish. The plot wasn't amazing but worked fairly well, the cast was fantastic and the jokes plentiful. Well worth a watch 7.5/10

50 Eggs: The Alan Partridge series are in my top 5 all time sitcoms. This is essentially the same formula but it didn't quite do it for me. It keeps everything that is good about the series, but for some reason loses the feel of it. I've got a horrible feeling that the thing that might be lacking, strangely, is the canned laughter. Still a good way to pass a couple of hours. 6/10

DonkeyB: More than funny enough. Iannucci is transforming his comedy stylings to film with great effect. I'm afraid it was still a little televisual, but I did feel a little like that might have been my own prejudice rather than the film's fault: there were a few scenes at the start in Alan's car which felt too eerily familiar. Perhaps this was to reassure long term fans, I didn't need it. Maybe because I trusted all involved so implicitly- I had forgotten around the world in 80 days existed. 7.75/10

Overall: 7.25/10

No comments: