Monday, August 26, 2013

Elysium


SF:  After District 9 I wasn't sure if Neill Blomkamp had another original sci-fi in him. Elysium is a good film but sadly predictable. The story has been done, I spent a great deal of time being reminded of the excellent Battle Angel Allita and even a bit of In Time as well as a few other films of a similar ilk. Having said that I did enjoy the film and thought the acting was well executed, Sharlto Copley is outstanding, I almost didn't recognise him. However the camera is far to shaky on much of the action which tends to annoy me. Also I don't think the film has enough focus or emotional investment in the main character. Lots of potential, enjoyable, but sadly lacking 6/10

50 Eggs: This is a lot like the directors previous effort, District 9; an interesting concept film that becomes increasingly violent and action oriented.And whilst I thought D9 was overrated, I actually enjoyed Elysium more. Some of the images are striking and there are a few great sci-fi moments. I felt a little short changed by the second half where the story takes a back seat, but it's worth a watch. 7/10

DonkeyB: n/a

Overall: 6.5/10 



No comments: