Sunday, May 18, 2014

Godzilla

SF: I'm in two minds about this film. The special effects were nice, the build up was good blend of realism and fun madness (explaining the existence of the awesome Godzilla) but when you get down to what the audience wants - big monster fight...well you are left a bit short. The first fight cuts away before it even begins. The next one does the same thing and when the battle finally gets going everything was too dark. Having said that there was plenty to enjoy and compared to the 1997 offering this is a delight. This suffered from too much human screen time. And why is Aaron Johnson always there? His presence at all the right times just echoed the awful 2012 film I'd rather forget. Also anyone who dislikes Godzilla weight - let me remind you that isn't not easy being Zilla and comfort eating is bound to happen. 6/10

50 Eggs: I have to say I agree completely with SF. There's lots to like about this film but there's also a lot wrong with it, although it's a little difficult to put your finger on exactly what that is. After seeing the movie I went straight on the internet to read the plot synopsis because I was convinced I had missed some exposition somewhere. I hadn't, but I just felt that I hadn't seen the complete movie. Perhaps a directors cut will rectify it, but in the meantime there is some good stuff here - big monsters, great effects, and lots of sequel potential. 7/10

DonkeyB: n/a

Overall: 6.5/10

No comments: