Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Looper

SF: Who doesn't love a good time paradox? This delivered everything I'd want from an action sci-fi. Yes I did enjoy the bit when Joe shoots down a building full of mob men without a scratch. However it's the story I really enjoyed, all the small comments and hints of the future which later all fall into place nicely. Thoroughly well executed and not afraid to be dark. Well worth a trip to the cinema.  Note - It did take a few moments for me to get over how bizarre Joseph Gordon-Levitt looked (I don't think it was necessary to go messing with his face as he really didn't look that much more like Willis). 8/10

50 Eggs: Great film. It's not 'this decades The Matrix' as the marketeers have suggested, but it is a highly imaginative and thoughtful take on the time-travel genre. The paradoxes are handled well, effectively tarmacking over potential plot-holes, and some thought-provoking questions are asked: what would you sell your life for, and what would you give it away for? I have to disagree with SF and say that Gordon-Levitts make-over was both excellent and necessary. I'm giving a similar score though. 8.5/10

DonkeyB: uh I was sleepy. There was quite a bit of Basil Exposition (this is important- remember it for later). It's quite smart nevertheless. Can I give it 7.75?

Overall: 8.08/10

1 comment:

Dan O. said...

The cast is great, especially JGL who has been having a stellar career so far, but the plot it what really kept me interested as it continued to throw twist-after-twist at me, without any confusion whatsoever. It’s a great sci-fi flick that actually makes sense. Good review.